Re: P-15 centerboard -- modification?

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 18:15:54 PDT

Ken-
Oh, I see now. (Duh!) Without the arm (or nose, depending on your
anatomical preference) there would be only a few inches of the board inside
the trunk when the board is down, which would not appear to provide enough
leverage to oppose the side forces on the board in the water. It seems the
board would tend to chew up the bottom portion of the centerboard trunk
slot as it tried to swing from side to side.

Some other problems remain also: (1) making a lanyard attachment to the CB
that would not jam in the trunk, (2) finding a way to secure the board in
the down position (so it won't retract in event of a capsize), locating a
"stop" to prevent the centerboard from swinging forward of vertical, since
the pivot point is near the forward end.

Bob Morrison, I gather none of these things was a problem as your boat was
configured. Any comments?

Harry