Re: launch tips - Tongue Extensions

From: Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 05:16:54 PDT

I have seen folks with small trailerable keel boats use a long extension that is
used only at launching. It goes over the the trailer tongue and hitch with
kind of a U channel that thru bolts to the tongue and has an additional hitch on
the far end. I have even seen them made out of 4x4 lumber -- which seems like a
reasonable kludge since they are only used for launching and don't need all to
the beef of an "over-the-road" extension.

There are some balance and handling issues that must evolve from a permanent
extension --- I don't know that I would like to experiment too much with the
dynamics of a new trailer boat system with a longer tongue. ---- but then I'm a
Lutheran and we don't go for too much change in one lifetime. (for the humor
impaired that was an attempt at humor).

And then, of course, it becomes an issue of: "Do you trust your welder?" My
trust in welders is in inverse proportion to the number of visible tattoos that
they have --- unless one says "Graduate, International Mail Order School of
Welding".

Regards
Rye
'90 HMS 18 Short Rig (...and Short Tongue)
Springfield, VA / Potomac R