Gooseneck

From: RL Reno (rlreno@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 19:00:40 PDT

Another difference between new and old Potters.
On my early HMS 18 the fitting for the mainsail tack pin is cast as part
of the heavy aluminum gooseneck fitting and shows no visible wear after
over 25 years of use.

Being a chronic overbuilder, If I had this particular failure, I think I
would buy a SS tang or chainplate long enough to wrap completely around
the boom, screw it in place, and run a pin through the ears left above
the upper boom surface to secure the tack. With a bedding of silicone
or other goo between the SS and aluminum, it ought to outlast the rest
of the boat.

As an aside, the booms of this period were set up for roller reefing.
Worse than useless for reefing, but Greg Yu, who has the same setup,
rolls the sail on the boom with it for transport.

-Ron
HMS18 #42 Bluebelle
Tahoe