Re: Bow Bouyancy w/ styrofoam

From: Robert Skinner (robert@140.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:51:30 PDT

> << Another approach to bow buoyancy -- 1" styrofoam secured on top of the
> cabin floor/bunks would provide about 100 lbs of floatation. >>
> Why not go for closed cell foam padding? Softer to the humans and will not
> crumble under the loading of feet and bodys upon it.

Michael -

The closed cell flex foam is an interesting idea. I could cement it
to the top of some floorboards I plan to put in. On the other hand,
as I will be stowing gear in 1/2 of the cabin and sleeping in the
other, and stowing some gear in the sleeping area during the day, I
wonder how the foam would stand up -- let alone stay clean enuf to be
pleasant.

Little Dipper has a fiberglass cabin floor. It is so weak in places
that I hesitate to step or kneel on it. Therefore, I am covering it
with 1/2" plywood, secured to the existing floor where it is strong
enough to hold screws. The foam could go between the fiberglass and
the plywood.

Re. the already low headroom in the cabin: As I cannot sit up or
squat in the cabin now, not much loss...

With the noodles below the floor and the foam in the sandwich, I would
have 80 + 100 lbs of floatation. The key question is -- is this
overkill?

Any comments will be appreciated.

--
Robert Skinner, Rockville, Maryland