Re: Stupid depthfinder trick

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 18:40:26 PDT

>In a message dated 4/4/00 11:06:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, etj@nwlink.com

>writes:
>
><< well, I borrowed a sounder and attached its transducer with simple marine

> silicone, and it works great! I tested it against my transom-mount unit by

> the same company (different model) and the readings were always within a few

> percent of eachother. The deepest I got was 150 feet, but both units read

> this just fine. >>
>
>This is a tried and true method for installing transducers. The 'trick' to

>it is to ensure that there are no voids or air bubbles in the RTV bond. The

>question is, how are you going to remove a 'borrowed' transducer without
>damaging it?

With silicone it should peel right off with a little prying. That wouldn't be
the case with epoxy! Maybe I was the last one to get the news, but every message
I've seen on the subject has always indicated you need to use epoxy or an oil
bath on the transducers, so the success us using cheap and easy silicone was
exciting to me :)
http://www.nwlink.com