U.V. Protection and Rudder Pivot

From: Jim Sinclair (jsinc@ftconnect.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 20:52:11 PDT

Ok, our one year old P19 isn't factory new anymore but it's in great shape
and I'd like to keep it that way. Had it covered over the winter but during
my "un-winter-izing" (would that be "springing"?) I noticed that the
topsides have a faint bit of hazing to the gelcoat. So the question is,
what are the group's recommendations for cleaning and UV protecting of the
gelcoat surfaces of the boat?

On Sunday we went for a drift and (by necessity) a motor-boat ride. Nice to
be out, but wind would have been even nicer. Back on the trailer at the end
of the day, I noticed that the nut on the bolt that acts as a pivot pin on
the rudder was backed 'almost' all the way off! Came very close to losing
it. The nut is one of those with the nylon self-locking collar but it
doesn't seem to hold. (Had the same problem last summer as I recall -
should have paid better attention) I'm considering a longer bolt
(stainless of course) and the 'double-nut' locking method. Any other
suggestions?

As always, this list has the best and most complete set of opinions to be
found anywhere. I'm counting on it.

Jim Sinclair
WWP19 "Second Wind"
Portland, OR