Re: Tips on coax connector installation?

From: jckniese@francomm.com
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:33:34 PDT

> This past weekend, the coax cable for the VHF radio pulled out of the
> connector, due to corrosion and perhaps installation method by the previous
> owner. It runs down inside the mast, exits the mast at the bottom and
> attaches to a PL-258 double female connector going thru the cabin top
> (similar to item F on West Marine page 74, Ancor part #200258).
>
> I need to fix it before going sailing this weekend, so the part has to be
> available at West Marine, Radio Shack, or at my local hardware store.
>
> What kind of center-pin male connector should I use? Are solderless
> connectors okay? Are soldered connectors better? Any "pro" tips on
> installation? How to weatherproof?
>
> TIA, Judy B
Hi Judy,
Where ever you get that connector, it would be best to use solder
connectors and seal them up good to keep moisture out. Before you
solder the connectors check them out with an ohm meter for shorts and a
good connection. Give them a pull test to make sure the connection is
strong and won't pull apart. After all that solder and then check again
with the ohm meter for shorts and continunity. Then connect and seal up.
Bob
P19#1148
Dovie
Duanesburg, NY