Re: Tips on coax connector installation?

From: Michael Smith (michaelconniesmith@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 17:38:16 PDT

Re solder connections. I consider myself reasonably handy, but when I tried
to solder a connection on a coax connecton my faith my myself was shaken!
It's not easy. I finally gave up and had the boatyard do it. I wasn't
there when they did the job and looked at it later. It was as sloppy as my
amateurish attempts had been. But it held. I replicated their work on the
inside connecition but couldn't get it to stick right. Tried with a small
soldering tool. Then tried a large one. Not good in either case.

I was putting it on a Pearson Triton and due to the height of the mast was
using the largest coax available. For a P-19 (or a P-15 since I need to
reinstall the coax cable for it, having moved the antennae from the mast top
to the aft end of the cockpit--it'll be high enough for my usage), I think I
would use the mechanical connections that don't require soldering since they
are available for the small/mid-size coax). Mike