Re: [WWP] Near Capsize on P15

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 10:59:53 PDT

Hi Carl: Without "being there" with you its pretty hard to give advice..
but I think you pin-pointed one needed change in technique when you
indicate you did not move to the new "high side" as you came through
the wind, and when you speak of being pinned in by the tiller as you
remain on the low side.. It is common standard practice in all small
sailboats to move to the other side of the cockpit and sit on the other
side of the tiller as the bow comes through the eye of the wind.. in
light boats ( and in spite of its great stability, the P-15 is a light boat
)
your weight on the upwind side is a major factor in "holding the boat
down". One reason the tiller arm is on a pivot is so that you can raise
it up to help you move quickly to the other side of the cockpit.. This
is a timed move.. You start the turn, then as the boat comes straight into
the wind, you raise the tiller, crouch for a brief pause in the center of
the cockpit, to make sure the boat is going to continue on through onto
the new tack, then continuing accross , assume your new seat on the high
side of the cockpit, lower the tiller and you're off on the new tack. I
might
also suggest that the boat will sail a lot better if you sit very far
forward
on the cockpit bench, right up against the back of the cabin, and reach
back to hold the tiller, this also helps one move easily across the
cockpit.
 I hope this does not seem to patronize... you may already know what
I have just told you.. beyond that, I have been hit by big wind shifts
while hove to that literally spun the boat around while I tried to figure
out what the heck was going on.. The problem again, in part to the
fact that the potter is a light boat,and moves quickly in such a situation.

If you turn straight upwind, let the main sheet entirely loose, back the
jib, ( set it tight opposite where it would normally be sheeted ) and
raise the tiller, move to the upwind side quickly, drop the tiller, and
push
it away from completely toward the slackened mainsail boom, and lash
it, you will be hove to without having the tiller pin you in the low side..

(the backed jib will turn you on to the new tack)
Hope this is of some help, and I am sure you will receive a lot of
gratuitous
advice from all the other Potter Sailors.. A closing thought... explore
heaving to several times on a light wind day, when you will be allowed
more time to analyze, and I am sure you will get a handle on just what
happened. Best wishes... You were out in some higher winds.. and that
is never "Stressless"!
Bruce
Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte" , sail no. 1246 since 1985

Get your bargains at AndysGarage.com!