RE: [WWP] Set up poll

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 18:43:37 PDT

We have a 1985 Potter 19, and typically it takes us anywhere from 45 minutes
to an hour and 15 minutes (or even longer). Of course, we always stop and
chat, or I get sidetracked with fixing something on somebody else's boat. I
think the shortest time Dave and I have ever done is about 50 minutes from
arriving to being ready to motor off the dock, with everything set to raise
sails.

I do most of the work running the rigging lines, but Dave handles the
outboard, rudder, and assists me with the mast and boom. Dave's learning to
do more of the jobs, so it'll get quicker.

- about 10-15 minutes for loading all our junk into the boat (food, clothes,
camera, rudder, etc). . (With the amount of junk we take with us, it takes
us 45 mintues just to get our food, clothes, outboard, etc, out of the house
and into the tow vehicle. We need to stop taking three times as much food
and beverage as we consume)

- about 15 minutes for raising the mast, including undoing all the bungees
(there are alot of bungees with a CDI to hold the sail to the mast), rolling
the mast aft, putting the pin in the tabernacle, running the mast-raising
lines thru the pulley, putting the quick pin in the forestay, putting the
mast crutch away in the van, attaching the cable for the masthead radio
antenna, attaching the electric cable for the masthead lights., etc.

- about 15 minutes for attaching the boom and inserting the sail slugs,
snapping on the vang, running the mainsheet (I need to get a quick pin for
the block on the mast or the blocks on the transom; that'll save about 5
minutes.), running all the lines aft thru deck organizers, rope clutches,
etc. I always rig both of our jiffy reefs before leaving the dock. Our
rigging is more complex than the average P19 and the extra time to rig lines
is one result.

- about 5 minutes for putting the outboard on the bracket and connecting the
gas

- about 3 minutes for running the jibsheets

-about 3 minutes to attach the rudder

- about 3 minutes for attaching the docklines and fenders.

- five minutes for Dave to go to the bathroom one last time

- about 5 minutes for backing down the ramp and launching the boat and tying
it to the dock.

- about 3 minutes for lowering the keel.

- about 5 minutes for returning the car to the parking lot and walking back
to the dock (Dave usually lowers the keel and starts the outboard while I
park the car and trailer)

We'll get faster as the season progresses and we get our routine down
smoothly. I also have some more changes to make, such as using the trailer
winch to raise the mast. That'll save about 5 minutes of rigging up pulleys
for mast raising.

Fair winds,
Judy B
1995 WWP19 #266 "Redwing"