RE: [WWP] Set up poll

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 20:14:56 PDT

I don't know how long it takes me since I usually only do it a couple times
each season since I keep it moored, but its pretty quick these days.

I thought I'd add some comments to Judy's notes:

> We need to stop taking three times as much food
> and beverage as we consume)

I do the same. I'm starting to keep certain items aboard when I know I'd
otherwise load and unload them again and again, like extra jackets, a change
of clothes, bottles of water, etc.

> - about 15 minutes for raising the mast, including undoing all the bungees
> (there are alot of bungees with a CDI to hold the sail to the
> mast),

I've given up on bungees after it dawned on me I can spiral-wrap the main
halyard around the mast and shrouds, etc. Works well for me, makes a tidy
towing package, and is quick.

>rolling
> the mast aft, putting the pin in the tabernacle, running the mast-raising
> lines thru the pulley, putting the quick pin in the forestay

Yeah, the quick pin saves several minutes by itself! I can get the mast up
pretty quick if I have help. As often as not, though, I'm 'singlehanding' so
I have to be extra careful when I raise it.

Then for me, its typically add 10 minutes to take the mast back down again,
attach the masthead fly, and re-erect it :)

>, putting the
> mast crutch away in the van, attaching the cable for the masthead radio
> antenna, attaching the electric cable for the masthead lights., etc.
>
> - about 15 minutes for attaching the boom and inserting the sail slugs,

One thing I did to speed this up is I replace the horn cleat for the boom
downhaul with a clamcleat. It makes for fast adjustments under sail too, and
no need to rig a cunningham.

> snapping on the vang, running the mainsheet (I need to get a quick pin for
> the block on the mast or the blocks on the transom; that'll save about 5
> minutes.), running all the lines aft thru deck organizers, rope clutches,

I keep my halyards attached to the mast and through their aft-leading
blocks, and just ease them from their cleats prior to raising the mast, so
theres no need to do a lot of threading.

> etc. I always rig both of our jiffy reefs before leaving the dock.

I only have one, and if i dont rig it, I always wish I did!

> rigging is more complex than the average P19 and the extra time
> to rig lines
> is one result.
>
> - about 5 minutes for putting the outboard on the bracket and
> connecting the
> gas

I do that at home, and run a dockline from one stern cleat, around the
motor, and tie it off to the other cleat with a truckers hitch. The
dramatically reduces the bouncing and I'm convinced it is safe. It also
drastically reduces the time you spend fooling around with the motor.

> - about 3 minutes for running the jibsheets

I keep mine attached, in their cleats, with a snap shackle to attach to the
sail clews.

> - about 3 minutes for attaching the docklines and fenders.

I often leave them attached too, but coiled up and cleated.

Whatever you want, chances are you'll find it at one of the hundreds
of sites in The PointClick Network--like Disney.com, eCost.com,
FogDog.com and many more. You get paid as you shop and an additional
10% off any purchase, anytime.