Re: [WWP] Rail pads

From: chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 10:46:38 PDT

To steal a line from Paul Harvey, "And now, the rest of the story,..."

I have yet to put my rail pads on! I use the rails to tie lines (Fender and the
bitter of my CDI). I like grabbing something firm when I need to (don't want
something spinning around when I want to catch myself with a rail). And I have
these really nice Sunbrella captains navy railcovers that coordinate with my
leech cover of all my headsails,.... all boxed up and taking up space in Deep
Blue!

Well, now you know what the material is (Sunbrella canvas),... The padding?
It's pipe insulation! Yep, I paid top dollar for pre-measured and cut pipe
insullation and scraps of canvas sewn together into a long strip with "loop and
hook" to fasten it around the insulation, which goes around the rail.

Fancied up pipe insulation is a great idea, but I don't know that I appreciate
paying $100 bucks and change for it!

Got a better idea for new Potter owners to spend their money on SAIL SLUGS!!!
Don't leave dock without 'em! One of the biggest "If I knew then, what I know
now,..." experiences I've had with Deep Blue is that running lines aft may be
"nice" for single handing, but sail slugs are almost a must!!

Anyone wanna buy a nice set of rail pads? Just kidding, I'm certain I will use
them when I get Deep Blue over to fresh water and toss out a line or two of the
fishing sort! Once I have to lean over that rail to haul in all those big fish,
I'll want that padding! ;-)

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue
Alameda, CA