Re: [WWP] outfitting: Necessities republished

From: chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 11:07:41 PDT

"The list, the list, someone bring out the list!"

OK, who's got the "official" list of necessities to help outfit the Potter?
Here's what I could dig out of my archive (excuse the dust--housekeeper has been
on permanent vacation since Deep Blue arrived--I'm considering just scattering
seeds).

I'd add to the list my latest kick: SAIL SLUGS!! I sure wish they had asked me
if I wanted them when I ordered my boat (maybe they did and I didn't realize
what a bonus they would be)! If you are thinking about going out alone, you can
do alot of things given enough water, but you don't want to try to drop a
main,... in any kinda wind,... alone,... with bolt rope,... sail just goes
EVERYWHERE-- In the cabin, on the deck, in the water, flappin and carry'n on,
very embarrassing!

Congratulations!! What's her/his name?

Here's the list I have:

<Cough, sneeze, sneeze>
Some other stuff that probably goes without mention, but you sorta like to have
around, like:

Toilet paper.
Old towels.
Good sized sponge.
Bailing bucket (I got a 5 gal and a 10 gal--turn the 5 gal upside down on the
ground and place the 10gal
on top of it, lower the outboard motor into it; fill with water; start engine
and run for several minutes while I attend to other things).
First Aid kit (came in handy, as some new boat sharp edges cut my hands).
Battery powered light (flashlight).
Good sharp versatile knife.
Spare line (include about 6' of the high-tech 1/4" line, costs big $$ but can
come in handy for a quick fix).
Wire (like safety wire to for those thumb screws with holes that require tying
off).
Sail tape (on a new boat this is good to cover the batten pockets in the sails,
so that the battens won't take flight when flogging).
Sail ties.
Bungees are your friend, get an assortment of them (good for transom ladder,
keeping your rudder out of your motor prop while launching, etc).
Did I mention Rigging tape?
Spare tools: pliers, wrenches, and screw drivers.
Lighter (go ahead and get the grill lighting kind that you would use for the
grill--but could also finish off a nylon line to keep it from fraying).
Oil and funnel for outboard.
Dish soap.
Water.
Cotter pins and rings.
Wrench to fit trailer tire lugs.
Jack tested to fit under the trailer and assist in replacing flat.
Bearing buddy grease gun.
3/8" quick release pins (several to start with - you'll find these nicer than
the cotter pin and "paper clip" ring--great description Greg Yu!).

Newspapers to place underneath your cabin cushions to cut down on the
condensation/mildew.
Charts and tide books (and learn ahead of time how to use and read them).
Also, let someone know where you are going and approximate time you will be
back.

But other than that, Potters come from the factory "ready to sail!" ;-)
Really they do, it just seems that we want more "stuff" to make ourselves
"comfortable." And it is all about us, isn't it? ;-)

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue
Alameda, CA 94501

Dana Lindsley <dfljhl@execpc.com> on 04/17/2000 05:54:22 PM