Re: [WWP] Set up poll

From: Gregory (gkyu@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:05:25 PDT

Harry:
Backing the boat and trailer into the garage is not a easy task. I begin with
parking at the curb to remove the mast and hang it on the garage wall (bicycle
hooks). If I had sailed in salt water, then I would have to remount the outboard
on the transom above a 30-gallon trash-can filled with fresh water to give it a
good flush. After the outboard is removed and remounted on the garage wall, and
the boat and trailer get a good hosing down, I would back the boat and trailer
slowly up the driveway until the wheels are past the incline and are inside the
garage (It would be too heavy to push it up the driveway) After putting blocks on
the wheels, Steven and I would unhook the trailer. We can't just push the boat and
trailer in at that point....we have to pivot the boat by raising the tongue wheel
in order to get the highest point (the lip of the sliding hatch) under the the lips
of our sliding garage door. Once that is in, we then lower the tongue wheel so the
bow pulpit would fit under. Afterall, we only have about 1/8" clearance from the
garage door. Now, if my wife and grown daughter are both home, then we would have
to move their cars out of the garage and driveway before we start the process.
Steven seems to enjoy that part, since that would be his only chance of driving his
sister's hot-rod around the block.
After all that is done, we return the cars to the garage and drive-way, and remove
all the gear, dirty dishes, and left-over food from the boat.
Even though the process seems painful, there are apparent benefits in having the
boat inside the garage. I'm not sure what I would do when Steven grows up and
moves out....Rosita will have to take up pumping-iron, or I may have to get myself
one of those trailer dollies they sell at Harbor Freight.
I have often questioned my decision in moving up from a P-15 to a HMS-18, and the
conclusion I have always come up with is:
I should have kept both!
I like your idea about winching the boat into the garage. I will have to find a
way of installing the winch.
Greg
HMS-18 #63 'Sampan'

Win $1000 this Friday!