RE: [WWP] Sail Cover for P19

From: chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 13:00:53 PDT

Rick,

I know you were really asking Dale. But I thought I would share some
perspective from a recent purchaser. I too really like tanbark. I like
"Traditional looks" when it comes to boats. I was headed down that road and
received some feedback (which I am amazed you haven't heard yet). Tanbark is
awesome, I still like it alot, if you decide to go with tanbark, I would suggest
you get all your sails (mainsail and 3 headsails).

Even IM told me that their "current" tanbark is a great color. Meaning, there
is no consistant shade/color/tint with tanbark. The run the gammet of
red-brown. That's where the suggestion that if you want it, get all of them
now. Otherwise, your new genoa that you order two years from now, will not
match your mainsail--you will have two different colored sails on your rig. To
an extent, the same is true of colored sails, but not to the same extreme.

Tanbark is also difficult to see through. Don't plan on reading a leeward
telltale on your headsails--factory headsails don't have transparent telltale
mounts.

Also, you were really looking into sailcovers. I would try to match your hull
color, leech cover, and mainsail cover color. Or at least match the mainsail
to leech cover (assuming you will have a CDI) (and have the hull color
compliment). Marine blue is really common and you can get a mainsail cover at
discount for about $100 or less--It will be marine blue.

Finally, here's something to look into: http://www.sails4free.com Supposedly
if you let them advertise on your material and pay shipping, they will send you
either a free headsail or sailcover. I will report back to this group if I ever
get mine. I ordered it early last week--I remain sceptical, but I have Visa on
my side ;-)

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue
Alameda, CA