Re: [WWP] Dave's annual catalina sail

From: raeschlima@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 18:05:30 PDT

In a message dated 4/19/00 9:22:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, chrdvd@gte.net
writes:

<< Greetings fellow Potterites!

    I have put aside July 13,14,15,16 for my annual Potter sail to Catalina!
 anyone interested can e-mail me at chrdvd@gte.net Thats Thursday through
 Sunday. This time I want to work around the island like Moby Duck did last
 time. 1st night will be west side of Emerald bay on the west side of the
 island. Free mooring should be available. Second night, Cat Harbor and a
 nice dinner at the only restaurant there. third night, not sure yet. Still
 looking at the map, but probably around the east end to the leeward side.
 p15's did it last time. Its 18 miles across from Cabrillo Beach. The island
 is 17 miles long. So sailing a plenty there will be! Lots of good scuba or
 snorkeling places to stop at. If you have not been it is an incredible trip.
 I am hoping for some repeats from last trip guys! Would love to see and
 visit with you again.

 26 Miles across the sea Santa Catalina.........(the songwriter must have
 lived in Newport Beach!)

 Dave Lang P15 Hull#554 "Go West" >>

Dave,

Glad to hear you're doing it again. I don't know if I can make it this time,
though. After Cat Hbr, the only safe moorage is Little Harbor, watch out for
the reefs at the entrance, and this harbor can get dangerous if the wind
veers too far south. That's the only two safe harbors on the far side. So it
will be a long sail around the east end, but the wind is usually fair and
firm for that, it gets quite choppy at the east end where current and wind
collide, will be a bit rough for a P-15 I'll bet! Then the wind dies to
nearly nothing as you come into the lee of the Island, Plan on powering in to
Avalon and points north and west of there. Little Gibraltar offers good
anchorage for a few boats, tuck right in near the cliff. Keep me posted.

Ralph Aeschliman
HMS-18 #67 Moby Duck
Flagstaff, AZ

Enjoy the award-winning journalism of The New York Times with
convenient home delivery. And for a limited time, get 50% off for the
first 8 weeks by subscribing. Pay by credit card and receive an
additional 4 weeks at this low introductory rate.