RE: [WWP] Jib - tight or lose cable???

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 22:23:41 PDT

Hi again Drew,

Jerry Barrilleaux and I were talking about your jib and he came up with a
tidbit of P14 history. The original jibs did have a wire cable in them,
even though they were intended to be hanked onto the forestay. VERRRYY
Interesting... you don't see that today.

Sometimes, with the old wire cables "seized" to the sail (attached at the
grommets in the head and tack), the twisted wire cable might get un-coiled
if it was used on the old style roller furlers that swivelled at the top and
bottom (but didn't have a special "extrusion" like the newer style reefing
furlers). The result was that the cable developed a coiled shape -- maybe
this is the "snake" you're referring to in your original post?

If you can tighten the halyard enough to get the leading edge straight, then
performance shouldn't be affected. If you can't get the leading edge
straight, you're losing some perfomance. I don't know how much the
un-coiling of the twisted wire this affects the safety of the sail, I wonder
if the cable might be slightly weakened.

Just a guess on my part. It's hard to give you a good explanation without
examining the sail in person.

Fair breezes,
Judy B
WWP19 #266 Redwing