[WWP] Attitude Modification

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 11:20:11 PDT

That's a great attitude!

I've long found the preparation, rigging, teardown, and storage to be an
exercise in frustration. I now intend to take my time, stop and chat with
whoever stops by, and, I hope, do a more careful job of preparation so I
will be less likely to set sail with misrouted lines and such. Hasty
rigging tends to carry over the frustration into the sailing phase.

On my last sail, I raised the main while still tied to the ramp dock,
looked up a few seconds later to discover I was sailing downwind, about to
hit a bridge. My stern line was still on the dock. In my haste, I had not
secured the line properly to the boat.

On the previous sail, I had departed under power, then tried to hoist my
lateen yard but was unable to raise it more than part way. Things got a
little frantic in the narrow channel until I realized I had failed to
remove a reef I had tied in on the previous sail. (When reefed, the lateen
yard cannot be snugged against the mast.)

Those examples are typical of my experience and result from haste and
carelessness. It's time to modify my approach. I may even learn to enjoy
the whole process--the ritual. Thanks Ken and Alan.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA