[WWP] P15 Extreme Weather Helm

From: Mike Stallings (stallings_mike@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 10:20:37 PDT

Hi,

    The other day I was screaming along on a beam reach in at least 15 mph
winds from the N with the tide coming in from the S. As the boat heeled the
weather helm became extreme and I actually feared something on the rudder
assembly might snap. Easing the sheets slowed the boat (I think) and
lessened the pressure. In retrospect, it is possible that I was
oversheeting.

    My questions are, was I doing something wrong, and has anyone ever
snapped something on a P15 rudder from simply going too fast?

    BTW, where I sail the wind is almost never steady, so eliminating
heeling is not an option (and I'm glad of it!).

Mike
P15 #1589 Alexandria VA