Re: [WWP] flotation for p-15

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 21:40:00 PDT

>From all reports, righting a turtled Potter 15, even with flotation, is not
easy. It usually requires outside help. If help is not available, it might
be desirable to crawl up on the overturned boat to get out of cold water
until rescued. With no flotation, there may be enough trapped air to keep
the bow at the surface while the stern is 10 or 14 feet below the surface,
or maybe the boat will just sink (with flares and VHF). Also it is easier
to find someone on an overturned but still floating boat than it is to find
someone in a lifejacket.

The idea is to increase likelihood of survival on the water by keeping a
margin for error and the unexpected.

Harry
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

>Not being one to take needless risk, but I wonder why even worry about
>flotation. I keep life preservers on board and wear mine always. And have
>flares. And a VHF. And given the size of my P-15 don't go offshore. I've
>heard of a few of them hurtling but even then, most boats won't sink. Why
>bother with flotation at all. Mike

Do you play golf? Check out Chipshot.com to
find everything you need to enjoy the game of golf