Re: [WWP] P15 Extreme Weather Helm

From: happy life skills foundation (hapilife@efn.org)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 23:28:11 PDT

Yeh I agree....if I've learned anything about sailing from the potter it's
that I tend to oversheet. Especially with the genoa. the more sheet i give
it the better we sail. Same with the main. Less (trimming) is more.

Ken Silverman, lorax-15, bothell, wa

On Tue, 2 May 2000 hlg@pacbell.net wrote:

> Flattening the main with outhaul and vang should help also. In general, if
> a P15 wants to heel much more than 10 degrees, she is overpowered and
> reefing is called for. At 15-20 kn, she will go faster reefed and be much
> more comfortable.
>
> On a beat, I've found the boom does not need to be pulled in further than
> the gunwale.
>
> Harry Gordon
> P14 #234, Manatee
> Mountain View, CA
>
> Ron Force wrote:
>
> >Potters like to be sailed upright. As the heeling gets more extreme the
> >rudder will lose effect, and she'll round up into the wind-- actually,
> >sort of a safety valve. Easing the sheets, reefing or rebalancing (rail
> >meat!) to bring her upright is exactly what's called for in those
> >situations.
> >
> >Mike Stallings wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The other day I was screaming along on a beam reach in at least 15 mph
> >> winds from the N with the tide coming in from the S. As the boat heeled the
> >> weather helm became extreme and I actually feared something on the rudder
> >> assembly might snap. Easing the sheets slowed the boat (I think) and
> >> lessened the pressure. In retrospect, it is possible that I was
> >> oversheeting.

> Do you love your Mother?
> Click Here
>
> Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
> Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!