RE: [WWP] Some growing pains

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 21:35:17 PDT

I once stepped off the bow of my Potter onto the end of a launch ramp dock,
then reached back to grab the bowrail; but in that brief interval Manatee
took off without me. I was even luckier than you. The boat made a sweeping
turn and landed gracefully on the dock at the other side of the ramp.

Harry

>OK. Me too. Some of you may have seen my recent post concerning sailing
>last Sunday in 15 – 20 knot winds, reefing, heeling, etc. Sounded pretty
>darn competent, didn’t it? Well, I was feeling pretty darn competent, too
>as I brought the boat to a near-perfect stop, sails flapping, and stepped
>onto the dock. I stepped carefully so as to avoid a large mass of Canada
>Goose poop, looking down at the dock when an especially hard gust hit the
>boat and jerked the line out of my hand. At a time like this, I discovered,
>10 yards looks very far away as the TUMP started off on a very nice beam
>reach (no heeling at all, beautiful trim), the mainsheet having neatly
>tangled itself on a mooring cleat. Fortunately, a couple of fisherman had
>just appeared and were unmooring their boat when my boat decided to take off
>on its own. Even more fortunately, they came over and picked me up without
>a word, taking me out to my totally unmanned craft (now about 100 yards
>away) and dropping me off on it, giving new credence to the fact that it’s
>‘way better to be lucky than good!
>
>Scott Paist
>P-15 TUMP
>Lancaster, PA

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!