[WWP] This is (apparently) no drill

From: Dennis W. Farrell (DFARRELL@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 15:14:00 PDT

I've received two private notes on this, plus I've verified it in two other
places. There is a virus loose. If you receive an email with a subject
and/or attachment, "I LOVE YOU" you may be wise to delete it, certainly
before opening any attachments/enclosures it may have. I don't think it can
propagate over this list because the list is set to strip enclosures. You
may get it from some other source.

The virus apparently destroys picture and mp3 files when opened from
Microsoft OE or IE and then propagates further via your address book. I
suspect it may be more of a problem because of the title and nearness of
Mother's Day.

Look at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.loveletter.a.html
which may be slow due to increased traffic about this virus.

Thanks to the two people who sent me the alerts.

   -- dwf (Potter Mailing List maintainer)