[WWP] Stolen outboards

From: denis4x4@frontier.net
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 05:21:50 PDT

Having lived in SoCal for far too many years, I'm well aware of the problem
of OB theft. According to the SDPD, outboards and inflatables were in
Mexico with in 12 hours! NAFTA in reverse? The first thing that I did with
a 5HP Mariner that I purchased at West Marine for my P-15 was to use a heat
gun to remove the decals and then I scratched the motor cover with a chisel.
A little sandpaper on the throttle grip topped of with a flat black rattle
can paint job and you have an instant "old" motor. Given a choice between a
shiny new motor and an old looking piece of crap, guess what a thief's
choice will be? Bolting an OB to the motor mount is good theft protection,
but very inconvenient if you trailer. Also, if you're in a slip, make sure
the OB is away from the dock, even if you have to back the boat in.

Dennis Pierce
Gypsy Witch V #1207
Durango CO

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!