[WWP] funny you should have these problems...

From: Slava Joukoff (shisa@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 18:51:33 PDT

  Went sailing on Moreton Bay yesterday (5 May) with my son. After a great
day we were returning to the ramp with a stiff breeze on the front starboard
quarter. We dropped the genoa and had the motor running when we noticed that
the turnbuckle on the port (lee) side shroud chainplate had come completely
unscrewed and the shroud was simply waving around. My son climbed over to
the lee side to try and get things back together again. The main sheet was
tight so the boat heeled way over threatening a capsize. I promptly released
the main sheet which caused several things to happen in rapid sucession -
the boat righted, my son was catapulted overboard, and the mast flew to
starboard mainsail and all and hit the drink - most embarrassing. I now plan
to tape the turnbuckles so that they do not come unscrewed again!
Slava Joukoff
Oz Potter #655 "QT"