Re: [WWP] Motor Theft

From: Bill Blohm (bblohm@boi.hp.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:03:31 PDT

I, too, can commiserate. My truck was stolen two years ago, and it would
have been perfect for towing the P-19. I basically lost all the gear in
it, including my crash kit for amateur radio RACES/ARES work.
Fortunately, my radios were with me at the time.

As for those ass... people that steal, maybe this idea will help.

Along with the ideas about making the motor look old and all, there's
also this I gleaned from a book called "Why Didn't I Think Of That?" If
you turn the two levers for tightening the motor to the mount so that
they are pointing at each other, you can slip a padlock through the
holes in the lever, thus locking the motor to the mount.

I know it's a bit late, but... hopefully it will help someone else.

Best of luck!

Bill B.
P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
Nampa, ID

Eric Zilbert wrote:

> Chris - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I just had my boat in a Marina
> for a month, and was very worried about the motor. The marina had a locked
> gate and two families who lived there but I still worried about it. It is
> just so pricey (I have the same one you did}. I keep my motor in my garage
> when Riptide is in the driveway, but hated the idea of having to cart it
> down there and mount it. Perhaps the trick is to use a Kryptonite type
> bike lock. I also think the idea of making it look old is a good one.
> Again, so sorry, I know just how you feel. The year before last we went on
> a trip down to the Colorado River to canoe. On the way back we stoped at
> the new Mojave Desert Park to climb a sand dune. Someone broke into our
> top carrier and stole our tent, two sleeping bags (the nice new ones) and
> the one nice duffel bag with all my sons clothes in it. I felt sick for a
> week. Worst of all my homeowners deductable of $500 left me little in the
> way of compensation. I think people steal because they think they have
> been wronged by the world, and you have it better than them - they are mad
> and want to get even. Take care and see you soon. - Eric
> Eric Zilbert
> P-19 #621 "Riptide"
> Davis, not-by-the-sea, California

> Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
> Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!