Re: [WWP] Motor Theft

From: Scott Pack (scott.pack@pictureiq.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:33:17 PDT

At 02:03 PM 5/8/00 -0600, Bill Blohm wrote:
>Along with the ideas about making the motor look old and all, there's
>also this I gleaned from a book called "Why Didn't I Think Of That?" If
>you turn the two levers for tightening the motor to the mount so that
>they are pointing at each other, you can slip a padlock through the
>holes in the lever, thus locking the motor to the mount.

I've seen these on my outboard and thought the same. But then it occurred
to me that my handles are plastic and a good whack with a hammer would
likely break them. Or they could just punch the pins out that hold the
handles to the threaded rod. Failing that, I'd expect some enterprising
thief to hack-saw through the threaded rods, unscrew the bitter end and
make away with the motor. Locks are for the honest and prevent impulse
theft. A resourceful thief will succeed give time and motivation. Reduce
motivation by not leaving tantalizing items in view, or by making is so
difficult to steal something that easier targets are preferred.

-Scott

Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets
you see and manage all of your finances all in one place.