Re: [WWP] P-19 Jib Sheets & Mini-stays: Follow-Up

From: Alan Dimson-Doyle (addoyle@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 18:13:32 PDT

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the response. Would you be willing to give me a step by step
outline of how to use the mast raising system? OR does IM have such an
outline? I did get the mast up by tying a line to the main halyard and
using the bow pulpit as a fulcrum. I then ran the line through the cam
cleat, pulling it tight as I went which did a lot to take the weight off of
me. It felt a little precarious though as I had to climb up on the cabin
top.
    You are right about the eye pad on the bottom of the boom. It is for a
vang, but one of the previous two owners put a block on it with a eight foot
piece of line running nowhere. There were no other blocks on the eye pad on
the mast. Very confusing. Neither of the previous owners could tell me why
it was there.
    AHA, that is what that block on the back of the boom is for. There is
an eye pad on the port side of the boom. I assume that is where you mean I
should begin by tying the line there, up thru the grommet, etc. What size
line should I use for this? Also for the luff?
    The cleat that is forward that you mention for tying off the reefing
line, is a deck clear which currently has the outhaul lashed to it. Do they
both get attached to the same cleat? It seems a little odd to me to have a
deck cleat on the boom and even odder to attach the outhaul to a deck cleat?
Is this the right setup?

Alan, P-19, "Molly Fay"
New Englander

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
experiments.