[WWP] Re: Minnkota motors

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 21:30:04 PDT

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the group. It's hard to answer your question without knowing
what kind of conditions you could encounter in your area. I love my
electric, and so far it has served my purposes. I just wanted to
experiment with electric propulsion to see what was possible, and I
invested more than you might want to by getting the MinnKota Riptide
RT70/S, which has 70 lb thrust and runs on 24 volts. The lower thrust motor
you named may serve your purposes. There is a 55 lb thrust Riptide that is
probably essentially the same as my 70, but only requires 12 V.

To get some idea of the power a given electric motor will actually provide,
ignore any optimistic thrust-to-horsepower conversion factors you might
find. Multiply the max ampere (A) draw of the motor times the operating
volts (V). That will give you the number of watts (W) going into the motor.
My motor uses 45 A maximum at 24 V, which equals 1080 W, approximately 1
kw. To convert watts to horsepower (hp) you divide by 746, which means the
power going in to the motor is 1080/746 or 1.45 hp. Obviously, the motor
cannot produce any more power than is put in to it, which means my 70 lb
thrust motor produces something less than 1.45 hp at the max power setting.
For comparison, most Potter 15s use gas outboards rated at 2 to 3.5 hp. My
observation is that the 1+ hp is about right, as compared to my 3 hp
Seagull.

The Riptide series of MinnKotas are the saltwater versions, probably a good
idea since you will be running in saltwater. The engine seems pretty
rugged; I've run it into things occasionally with no damage. Another
feature of this motor and most of the higher priced MinnKotas is
"Maximizer," which means that speed is controlled by pulse width modulation
and is infinitely variable. The cheaper motors use switched resistors to
provide a choice of five (I think) fixed speed settings. The Maximizer is
claimed to be much more efficient, which means better range, and provides
finer control with the continuously variable speed setting.

Since my motor requires 24 V, I use two 12 V batteries in series--two
#24-size, wet cell, deep-cycle batteries rated at 95 ampere-hours (Ah).
They fit crosswise in the cockpit footwell of my old first-generation
Potter, next to the forward part of the centerboard trunk, giving me 90 lb
of ballast low in the hull. At 100% power I would probably get less than 2
hr running time, but it appears I can get twice that at 50 to 75% power. So
far I haven't run out of battery power, but I sail when I can and rarely
use max power except to get up to steering speed quickly.

It moves out impressively at 100%, but doesn't have the push of my 3 hp
Seagull. I've built in wiring for the motor using 4 AWG marine cable with
crimped and soldered connections for minimum voltage drop.

I would prefer not to have to worry about possible acid spills, but the two
types of nonspill batteries are more expensive, larger, and heavier for
equivalent output. I bought Costco's Kirkland-brand deep-cycle batteries at
40-some dollars a piece. The 95 Ah rating is better than most #24 size deep
cycle batteries, which are commonly rated at 85 Ah.

The motor has a chart printed on it that shows running time at different
power settings:
100%: 2 hr
75%: 3 hr
50%: 6 hr
25%: 12 hr
10%: 20 hr

The chart doesn't indicate what capacity batteries are being used, but the
manual recommends at least 100 Ah, and the charted running times are about
what I observe with my 95 Ah batteries. At 25% though you might not be able
to maintain steerage, and at 10% you can count the propeller revolutions,
so the 12 hr and 20 hr numbers are probably not meaningful for a Potter.
The speed at 75% power is comfortable but less than you would probably be
cruising in a gas outboard. The speed at 50% is okay too if you're in a
laid-back state or trying to stretch the range. Most of the time I'm
running between 50 and 75%.

Three of the friends I sail with have 36 lb thrust MinnKotas, which are
usually adequate for getting in and out of marinas, but don't seem to do
well in a wind. I found I could maintain 3.5 kn directly into a 15-20 kn
wind with my larger motor. The Potters have a high freeboard and are
affected more by the wind than a low profile bass boat might be. Add some
chop or current and you may find it just won't make it, even at max power.
That could be true of my larger motor also. So far I've avoided situations
where I would have to motor any distance in windy, choppy conditions with
the MinnKota.

If you camp in your boat's cabin, some accommodation will have to be made
for the batteries, at least as mine are installed. The one time I've slept
in the boat since I've had the batteries, I placed cockpit cushions under
the bunk cushion in order to get a reasonably level mattress. A better
method might have been to temporarily move the battery. I've also
considered building a higher, lightweight bunk deck above the original
level. Since the hull is wider there, the bunk width could also be
increased.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but I'm enjoying the
experiment and am glad to share my experience with smooth, silent running
electric propulsion. Let me know if you have other questions. You might
also check the web sites listed in the "Links" on the Potter Yachters web
site <http://potter-yachters.org>.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Propelled by gunter rig, lateen rig, electric power, or Seagull
Mountain View, CA

>Hi Harry,
>I just joined the "Potter Club" with the purchase of a 1979 P15. My wife
>hates outboards because of the smell, noise, gas danger, ect..... (me too)
>so I'm toying with a Minnkota 40-48 lb thrust. what do you think? Have you
>been happy with yours? Would you go the electric route again? How long
>will a 100 amp battery really last? We plan to use it only for getting to
>and from the ramp about a 1/2 mile or as back up if the wind dies on us.
>We mostly hug the coast line of Long island Sound.
> Thanks,
> Mark
> P15 #813
> "Holly Ann" (I think, still deciding)

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!