Re: [WWP] Depth Finder

From: happy life skills foundation (hapilife@efn.org)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:34:50 PDT

I usually carry a chart of the region with me here in Puget sound so i
have an idea of the underwater obstructions, shoals, etc....

of course the nice thing about the 15 is that the keel swings. lotsa times
my depth finder is the keel grounding. When i get close to shore or a shoa
area i usually reduce sail area and slow down. and i follow the other
boats. but having a centerboard really helps reduce the crunches and also
the worry since it will just pop up (since it is restrained with a shock
cord). Once in a while i get stuck in weeds or something, drop sail, get
out the oars/paddles, pull up the board, away we go. I guess if i got
stuck in water less than 6 inches deep i could get out and push!
Ken Silverman, p-15,"vegan Lorax", bothell, WA

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Jeff Goller wrote:

> I took the plunge last summer and bought a depth finder for my P-15.
>
> I drilled a hole wright through the hull in the stern to install the
> transducer. I then fit a rubber gasket, epoxied the hole and covered
> liberally with 5200 Marine sealant. Works great, no leaks, no worry.
> Remember - your hull is made of nothing more than epoxy and fiberglass
> cloth to begin with!
>
> Now that I have it, I would never be without a depth finder again. Along
> with a compass, it is the most critical equipment you can take out with
> you. In many ways, I think it is more important than a GPS.
>
> I always sail within sight of shore, and generally know where I am, but
> how can you tell water depth without a depth finder?????
>

> Jeff Goller,
> P-15 Hull # 2068
> "At Long Last"
> Charleston, SC
>
> --
> "There are things a man will tell his bartender, that he would never
> tell his physician..." Quoted from Dr. Mark Piper

> Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
> experiments.
>
> Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
> Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Bids starting at $7 for thousands of products - uBid.com