Re: [WWP] Photos for Web

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 10:55:28 PDT

>Oh.....I didn't take any! DRAT!
>
>What would you suggest for taking photos and getting them online? I have
>no idea how to do this....do you scan them? Or would I be wise to buy a
>digital camera? I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't come
>to any definitive conclusions and this website list seems to dictate most
>of the wisdom in my life these days (big GRIN!)
>thanks!
>Ken Silverman, lorax-15

There are several options I know of for getting digitized photos for web use:

1. Some photo processors will put your conventional camera photos on a CD.
The Kodak Photo CDs give you a choice of three resolutions.

2. PhotoWorks, an on-line service, will send you normal prints and also put
your pix on a floppy disk. To get them back more quickly you can download
them directly from the web site. They can also be made available on their
website, for a limited time, for your friends and relatives.

3. You can use a digital camera.

4. You can scan prints or transparencies. If you don't have a scanner,
there are shops that provide the service.

5. You can use a video camera and frame capture software. I use an ixTV
board on my Mac, which is basically a TV tuner intended to view TV on the
computer, but it also allows recording short video clips on the computer or
capturing single frames of a video tape. You may notice some shift in color
in the frame capture photos, which can be corrected in Photoshop or other
photo manipulation software.

The inexpensive digital cameras and video frame capture methods provide
adequate resolution for most web use but do not produce good paper
enlargements.

Harry
P14 #234
Mountain View, CA