Re: [WWP] Painting P-15 Iron Centerboards

From: Duncan Young (dyoung@netpipe.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 21:27:17 PDT

Bruce et al,

Greatly enjoy the chat about center boards, weights and coatings. My
Jorgensen Steel book says that steel plate 7/8" thick is 35.73 lbs./square
foot. Dr. Judy's center board measurements = 282.74 lbs. IM at some time
must have thought it was lead like Dr. Judy said.

Secondly, if you're going to pull your center board for coating you might
want to look at powder coating. According to "industry standard tests"
powder coating stands up better than galvanizing in salt water tests and is
has a slippery surface. That makes it difficult for marine growth to
adhere. Give it a look, might be more expensive in the initial cost but
cheaper in the long run.

Best regards, Duncan dyoung@netpipe.com P-15 #2421 Monterey, CA