Re: [WWP] Re: P19 keel weight (was Have the "keel" galvanized?)

From: Karen Johnson (kojohns@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 15:24:30 PDT

Tim, I think you are talking to me--Karen. Yes, Bruce did tell me that. He said that
is how they move the boats in production. They lift them by their rails. But Judy
did point out that it could put spider cracks around the rail mountings--which mine
already have. Maybe that is how that happened. So it probably isn't a good
idea--even though Bruce did promise to replace the rails if they should be ripped off.

Karen Johnson
1998 P-19, Miss Maggie

Tim Spofford wrote:

> Judy...Did Bruce REALLY tell you that!? It would sure solve my problem
> but I can't imagine it's a good idea.
>
> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Karen Johnson wrote:
>
> > Judy, you are correct. My P-19 is a 1998. I thought all of the keels
> > were
> > galvanized. I am glad ours is because I don't ever want to try to remove
> > it
> > from the boat. I am still too afraid to lift the boat up to wax under
> > it.
> > Bruce from IM told me to tie ropes to the bow pulpit and stern rails and
> > hoist
> > it up a tree to get to the bottom. Although a creative idea, I don't
> > think I am
> > ready to try that. I'd like to get some good sailing out of her before I
> > have
> > to explain to our insurance company how our boat fell out of a tree!
> > Thanks for the tip on the anti-rust paint and epoxy touch up.
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Karen Johnson
> > Miss Maggie, 1998 P-19 #1010
> > Grafton, OH
> >
> > "Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC" wrote:
> >
> > > Karen,
> > >
> > > Your boat should have a galvanized keel, with hull number 1010. It's
> > newer
> > > than mid-1996 right?. According to some correspondence I had last year
> > with
> > > Darrow Bishop, who was in charge of production back then, the first
> > > galvanized keels by IM came out in 1996.
> > >
> > > Just touch it up with anti-rust paint or epoxy periodically.
> > >
> > > The 1985 keel on my boat didn't come galvanized like the new ones from
> > IM.
> > > Mine is coated with 2 part epoxy since about 1990. It spent 5 years in
> > > wetslip with no apparent ill effects on the keel.
> > >
> > > When I had the keel out last fall, I put anti-fouling on the keel and
> > inside
> > > the trunk -- just in case I ever put her in the water for longer than
> > > weekend. Don't want any critters building their home-sweet-home up
> > inside
> > > that trunk and jamming the keel stuck.
> > >
> > > Judy

beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!