Re: [WWP] Mini Motor Homes and P15's

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 17:45:29 PDT

I don't know what the horsepower or weight of your Seabreeze is, but I've
been towing my Potter14 (a little heavier than new P15s) behind a 1975
Toyota Chinook RV, which uses the 20R engine. My experience is that most
any vehicle will pull the P14 easily. The Chinook is slow on long, steep
grades, with or without the Potter. I leave the back door open when backing
down a ramp so I can see the trailer, but have to unhitch to open the door.

If you can get a hitch installed on the Seabreeze, it shouldn't be a
problem to tow the P15. The local U-haul didn't have a bolt-on hitch and
wouldn't do the job, so I had to go to a custom trailer hitch shop to have
a hitch welded on my Chinook. It works fine except sometimes hits the
ground on a sharply rising driveway because of the rear overhang of the RV.

Other tow vehicles have included a 4-cyl Ford Fairmont wagon; RX-2, RX-4,
RX-7 rotary engine Mazdas; a Saab 96 with V-4 engine; and my latest, a
Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan with a V6.

The Voyager is the first one I've used with automatic transmission, factory
tow prep package, and a receiver-type hitch. It's rated for 3500 lb so
should handle a P19 okay.

An early P14 brochure indicated that Potters are towed by Minis in the UK.
I once owned an Austin 850 Mini and probably wouldn't choose that car to
tow a Potter over a mountain range, so I would consider that the lower
limit for a tow vehicle in flat country.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

>I recently purchased a 1988 Toyota Seabreeze Mini Motorhome, I know it says
>its not rated for towing, however I seem to remember a couple of references
>to other potter people having similar motorhomes. Do you tow your potter
>with them, I know I will never set any speed records with said vehicle, but
>it sure would be nice to be able to go to the lake or river, stay at a park
>and play with my potter all at the same time.
>
>Thanks for the info
>
>Bud Snavely
>P15, 2334, "Sensuous Sea"
>Gresham, Oregon

>Porsche Boxter. You and a friend. Nine dream days from
>Napa Valley to Beverly Hills. Provided by CarsDirect.com.
>Click to enter.
>
>Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
>Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Remember the good 'ol days