Re: [WWP] Mini Motor Homes and P15's

From: Dave & Francesca Kautz (dfkautz@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 22:46:55 PDT

Several P-15 owners (myself included) tow with VW buses which are likely
even more underpowered than the Toyota you mentioned. If you check out
the "New Owners" section at www.westwightpotter.com, three of the most
recent P-15s left the factory behind VW buses of different vintage. My
personal observation is that the ability to stop is a higher priority
than the ability to go. I've also towed with a VW GTI which had more
power than the Vanagon, but the smaller, lighter car felt less secure
overall.

What I anticipate might be ackward with any motorhome is backing down
the ramp. As wide as even the small motorhomes are, by the time you can
see the trailer in the mirrors, you are well on the way to being
jack-knifed. I've seen a couple of motorhomes that have been fitted with
hitches on the front bumpers to be used when launching.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632, Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA