Re: [WWP] Potter Poll #2000-1: What's the most unusual and creativemod on your boat?

From: Karen Johnson (kojohns@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 10:09:43 PDT

Judy,
We unattach the lower end of the side shrouds and back stay. We also disconnect
both ends of the CDI forestay. That way, we move the unit a couple feet aft so
the plastic just above the furling drum is laying on the bow pulpit rail; since
it doesn't hang over the front, there is no need to tie that down. It seems
quite happy there for long trips. The shrouds/back stays are pulled forward
along the mast and zipped into the cover. Since the back stay and shrouds are
too long and hang out the front end of the cover, we just gently loop them back
and zip them in the cover too. The fit is snug at the forward end, but not
overly tight. The loop diameters on the shrouds is about 6 inches. Initially,
we tied the shrouds/stays to the mast with the main halyard and tied a canvas
bag to the forward end of the mast which held the end of the shrouds/stays. We
thought we would still do this with the cover, but we don't need to.

Others have asked for pictures and where to get a cover like this. We will work
on getting pictures. We do not have a website, so we would have to work on
that. And we will borrow a digital camera from someone. Also, this cover is
brand new and I would like to use it a few times before someone wants to
duplicate it to see if there is anything we would have done differently. We've
already thought of one thing. Zippers don't come 22 feet long and we have 2
zippers that both start in the middle. I think that the rear zipper should have
started at the aft end to make it easier to use as a sock over the jib. Just
for general information, the cover was custom made and needed our boat there for
the fitting. The canvas maker we used happened to have the material on hand and
wasn't busy, so he made it in less that 24 hours!! Normal lead time is 1 week
off season and could be three weeks during boating season. We feel the price
was reasonable for what was done--about $265. I think it was $250 + tax. He
charged us for his time ($85.) and material. He also quoted the price up front
and, I'm not sure, he may have used more material. We got a quote from a
sailmaker to sew a leech cover on our genoa and it was for $219. !! This cover
is much better.
I'll be getting back to everyone on how well it works and, hopefully, with
photos.

Happy Pottering,

Karen Johnson
1998 P-19, Miss Maggie #1010
Grafton, OH

"Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC" wrote:

> Karen,
>
> Where are the side shrouds during trailering with this arrangement? Do they
> stick out the top or bottom of the sleeve? Or somewhere else?
>
> TIA, Judy B
> 1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing

Let us remember those important dates for you!
Check out eGroups' calendar at: