[WWP] Re: Which is better for P15, gas or electric?

From: dfkautz@pacbell.net
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 15:27:50 PDT

I'm surprised you find the shaft too short. Most P-15 owners use a
std. shaft length rather than a long shaft. On mine you can hear the
exhaust above water if no-one is in the cockpit, but underway it's
just fine. A long shaft may drag in the water when in the raised
postion

I have both gas and electric and use them according to the conditions
I expect. My 30 lb thrust electric is pretty anemic, it moves the P-
15 at three knots or so when conditions are good. I think it's great
for maneuvering around docks, going short distances, etc. There are
also a number of local sailing destinations that don't allow gas
engines. And it's quiet and smooth. To get any serious speed or for
extended use the gas motor is the way to go.

Harry Gordon has an 70lb. thrust electric set-up that can actually
substitute for a gas engine. I've seen him make good progress into a
headwind of 20 kts or so while towing another P-15. It's a more
expensive installation than your basic trolling motor and involves 90
lbs. of batteries. Contact hlg@pacbell.net for details if he doesn't
respond to your post.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632, Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA

--- In WWPotter@egroups.com, "Anthony Laspina" <alaspina@g...> wrote:
> Any opinions out there for which motor is better for a P15? The
gas
> motor which came with my boat is in perfect condition but the shaft
> is too short. I'm debating whether to spring for a new gas motor
or
> get a powerful electric instead. The lower cost and quiet of an
> electric is appealing, but I do want something that will get me
home
> when the going is rough. (I owned a tiny electric motor in the past
> for my dinghy and was disapointed---preferred to row instead.) Any
> electric owners out there who are satisfied? Are the salt water
> models worth the extra costs?

We want to hear how you are using eGroups
Share your story at: