[WWP] Origins of the P-19

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 15:59:02 PDT

Bill, the small P-14, P-15 Potters are direct descendents of the
original West Wight Potter designed by Stanley Smith on the
Isle of Wight. As I understand it, Herbert M. Stewart (HMS Marine)
licensed the rights from Stanley Smith to build a fibreglas version
of the West Wight Potter in Southern California, and used a plywood
Stanley Smith built Potter as the mold for the U.S. built version.
I am sure that Jerry Barrileaux will also be able to fill in some
details
on this for you, as well. If you have a look at the early brochures
illustrated at the Potter Yachters website you will immediately see
the connection and evolution. The 19 was designed by Herb Stewart,
and is based strongly on the principles of the smaller boats... high
freeboard for comfort and safety, hard chines for stiffness and high
initial stability, heavy Iron board for ballast weight very low in the
hull, easy launching and retrieval... all the things that seem to work
well in the 14/15ft. boats, scaled up to 19ft. I think you can look
upon
the P-19 as the healthy, robust, American grandchildren of the English
Potters, sized up in order to better accommodate couples and small
families..
Cheers, Bruce
Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte", sail no. 1246
Chico,CA... ( who would like to have a 19 too!)

Bill Blohm wrote:

> It seems to me the best place to ask this question is here.
>
> I read the SCA article on the P-19s, and one thing that really
bothered
> me was how different the history of the boat was from what seems to be

> actual history. I'd always thought that the West Wight Potter was a
> design from the Isle of Wight imported to here, yet the SCA article
> claims it was a design from a producer in CA.
>
> Can someone set this right? What the heck is the real history of our
> beloved boats?
>
> Bill B.
> P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
> Nampa, ID

> Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
> Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com: