[WWP] Great Sail. had Wind!

From: Lewis Baumstark (lbaum@preferred.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 17:00:27 PDT

Hey Potters,

As I've said before, here in E. Tn. we usually have two wind speeds, too
much or too little. But this past Friday was an exception.

On my way to the lake I noticed that the wind was kicking up pretty good and
thought then that I'd probably want to reef when I raised sail (reef when
you think of it?). Sure enough when I got on the water and could see open
water there were a few white caps. The weather forecast was calling for
5-15 mph winds but even with my meager experience the white caps looked like
more that 15 so I reefed when I raised sail. I rounded the point, cut off
the engine and sure enough it was blowin' real good with some choppy waves.

I had a great time but I'm positive the wind was stronger than 15 mph.
Several times I had to let the mainsheet run completely free and remain
there for what seemed long intervals, maybe one minute plus, definitely more
than just short puffs. I judged that wind speed to be at least 25 mph at
times, maybe more. I know that's old hat for you salt water sailors, but
for us small fresh water lake folks, that's gettin' up there.

I also had my first experience with heaving to. I was really busy tending
to the business of sailing in these conditions which was a little nerve
wracking! I really needed a break, if only to get a drink of water. I
remember what you guys have said about heaving to in strong winds and the
relaxing break you get. I have tried the manuver before but never could
make it work except one time by accident, with all sail down, I think the
boat behaved like you explained it should when heaved to. Anyway, I decided
to give it another try. I got in the middle of the lake (the lake is
narrow, not any wider than a wide river), began to tack, when the jib
backwinded I put the tiller over to the opposite side and held it there.
This is where I had made my mistake before, I had not waited long enough for
the tiller to take hold. When I started the manuver I had let the main run
free. After the tiller took hold, I found I had to balance it some to get
that "slow drift" you talk about. Also, like at all times with the P15,
after I lashed the tiller, I found when I moved around in the cockpit it
effected the trim and the tiller had to be re-adjusted. You're right about
the pleasant peaceful feeling in the midst of what was an otherwise exciting
experience. Now I want to see if I can heave to in gentler winds.

After a couple of hours beating upwind, I decided to turn for home. I
seriously considered lowering the jib. The wind was blowing good and I
worry a little about becoming overpowered on a run and broaching (part of
the worry is I still don't completely understand what it is although I've
read the explanation several times). But I decided to try it with the sail
I had up, reefed main and jib. I turned and started my run back at what
turned out to be just the right place to catch the wind wing and wing. Man
was I movin'! I think that's the fastest I've ever been in my P15! I ran
until I was about to run out of sea room, jibbed and settled into a broad
reach (a point of sail I seldom get to use on the lake) and continued to
burn up the water to the anchorage.

It was a great day! Wonder what it'll be like this Friday?

Lewis Baumstark
P15
Bristol, Tn.