[WWP] p19 downhaul

From: RL Reno (rlreno@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 21:26:47 PDT

Scott-
As I recall, the downhaul is a line to help pull the sail back down the
mast after being raised. For the main, we just grab handfulls of sail
and pull it down, although we use a downhaul line rigged for the jib
that runs back to the cockpit.

It sounds like your multiple purchase "downhaul" is the boom vang, which
serves to hold the boom down with variable tension depending on
conditions. The easiest replacement is simply to order one already made
up from West Marine or similar outfitter. Alternatively, measure your
blocks and line and order the same parts -- may be somewhat cheaper. A
handy modification (if yours does not already have it) is to switch the
shackles at each end of the vang with snap links for faster removal when
taking down the mast.

Good luck with the snarls,
-Ron

HMS 18 #42 Bluebelle
Tahoe

Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
To learn more click here: