Re: [WWP] SCA P-19 article

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 22:03:20 PDT

>All well and good, but HMS 18 #11 was built in 1970.
>
>"I'd rather be in Baja"
>
>Dik Richardson
>HMS 18 #11 'Hamada'
>Columbia 26 #178 'Reposado'
>Islander 33 'Vas Kora'
>Newporter 40 Ketch #87 'MaŅana'
>Hidden Harbor Marina, Rio Vista, CA

You got it right, Dik. I bought my P14 in Southern California early in 1970
and moved to the Bay Area later in the year. While still in Southern
California, I once launched at Marina del Rey to sail with the SoCal club.
As I recall, Herb (I think it was) was there sailing the original HMS-18.
The boat was still new and he was telling someone that she proved to be
faster than he had expected. I'm pretty sure it was the one and only HMS-18
at the time.

The event that day was a race to Santa Monica, so it seemed like a good
idea to leave the Seagull ashore so the boat would be lighter, so I did.
After considerable tacking we eventually reached the mouth of the harbor.
By that time the Potter fleet was halfway to Santa Monica. Then my crew had
a panic attack when we hit the ground swells, so we returned to the ramp
without ever getting beyond the breakwater.

All Potters had three-sided mainsails like mine at that time. Most, maybe
all, P14s were gunter rigged.

I just checked the HMS-18 brochure in my file. The boat in the photos does
not have a sail number. The enclosed price list is dated October 1, 1970.
The basic price was $2495.00, but that apparently didn't include the sails,
which cost an additional $225 for main and working jib. A lapper was $100,
a genoa with hardware was $160. Some other optional items were a trailer
for $350, and an outboard bracket for $55. Oh, and the specs show the keel
weight as 260 lb. Total weight was 1400 lb. The cover blurb read:

THE MAKERS OF THE WEST WIGHT POTTER NOW BRING YOU A NEW EIGHTEEN FOOTER
WHICH HAS ALL THE QUALITY AND SAFETY OF THE POTTER -- FOUR LARGE BUNKS, AN
AMAZING AMOUNT OF ROOM . . . PLUS A SPEED COMPARABLE WITH MANY LARGER BOATS.

Dik, I'm a little sorry that Hamada is moving to Baja, although I'm sure
that's where she wants to be. A couple of years ago you were ready to sell
her for a song, and I've been working on the lyrics ever since. Ah, well...

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

Old school buds here: