Re: Mainsheet scrape the Bimini? More crazy ideas?

James Leith (jeleith@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:47:32 -0400

----------
> From: SolarFry@aol.com
> To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
> Subject: Mainsheet scrape the bimini? More crazy ideas?
> Date: Thursday, August 20, 1998 11:38

> Does any one have a problem with the mainsheet dragging against the bimini?
> am interested in solutions to this problem.
>
> I am inclined to replace the 8'4" boom pole with a 10' pole. I have a 2"
OD
> .065 thick aluminum pole but it's not anodized... I plan to paint it with
> Outboard motor (Mariner silver gray) pain and replace factory boom pole
with
> it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Best
> SF

Louie,
Been there, made the necessary changes... Question if
making the boom longer would cure the problem because that
doesn't make the boom any higher, only longer... Before you
replace the boom pole, do:

1). Check to make sure the Bimini is on correctly. If it is on
backwards it will be too long to clear the traveler block on the end
of the boom.

2). Make sure the mainsail goes all the way up to the mast head.
When I originally tied the halyard to the mainsail, I had a loop with
a knot about 2-3" above the sail top that prevented the sail going all
the way to the mast head. Consequently, the mainsail/boom was
riding about 2-3" lower then it should. Not real noticeable without the
Bimini, but quite apparent with it up.

3). Make sure the CDI/jib tension is right. If this connection is too
loose it creates a stern rake to the mast which in turn pulls the
end of the boom down. I tightened the CDI and gained another inch
of boom height.

4). Use a hacksaw to cut two inches off the ss pipe frame for the
Bimini. With the 2" gone, there is still good room under the Bimini
for me (6' tall) wearing a hat and setting on a cushion... You can
also adjust the straps so that the rear of the Bimini rides lower
then the front.

Even with all of those changes, you may still get a little
rub when there is minimal wind on a beam reach and the sail is
tightened all the way down (this could be corrected by using the
topping lift to keep the boom tip off the Bimini in a weak wind).

Cheers,

Jim Leith, P19 #992, G'day
Bradenton, FL