Fwd: Trailer Modifications, swaying

GSTahoe@aol.com
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:57:57 EDT

--part0_904190278_boundary

Thank you, Richard. I am passing this on to the group. I'm certain others
will find it interesting.

--part0_904190278_boundary

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:06:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Trailer Modifications, swaying
From: "Richard Dickerson" <phrrld@ttuhsc.edu>
To: GSTahoe@aol.com

The accepted DOT (Department of Transportation) standard is 10% of gross
trailer weight should be on the tongue. For a 1500 # boat, trailer and all
of the stuff we carry, this amounts to 150#. Much less than this puts lift
on the rear wheels of the vehicle, leading to control problems. Much more
increases wear on the rear tires and lifts the front end of the vehicle,
again causing control problems. These control problems manifest themselves
as sway, braking problems, and loss of steering efficiency.
Richard Dickerson, Ph.D., DABT
Associate Professor
TIEHH
TTU/TTUHSC
806 743-2425 ext 243
806 743-2425

----------
>From: GSTahoe@aol.com
>To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
>Subject: Fwd: Trailer Modifications, swaying
>Date: Wed, Aug 26, 1998, 9:49 AM
>

>Leonard--
>
>One other thought re: your trailer swaying. You might check where on the
>trailer the boat is sitting. By moving the bow stop you can change the
weight
>distribution. It was recommended somewhere that you use a bathroom scale
>under the front wheel of the trailer to determine how much weight is on the
>tongue. I'm not certain, but I don't think you want it to be more than 50
>pounds or so and you certainly don't want it to be too light. Just a
thought.

>Others might be able to recommend the exact weight that should be on the
>tongue.
>
>Geoff
>P-15 Lollipop
>N. Lake Tahoe, NV