Re: Topping lift & main reefing - NO!

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:06:14 -0700

My personal approach to downwind sailing in heavy air is to drop the main
altogther and continue under jib alone. This helps keep the bow downwind
and reduces the tendency to broach Under these conditions the topping lift
can be used in conjunction with a tight mainsheet to compensate for the
lack of a backstay on the P-15. Unfortunatly, my P-15 doesn't like to go
upwind at all under jib alone.

Although I've not yet capsized my Potter (I have capsized in other
dinghies) my worst moments have been when the main has filled after a jibe
in a good breeze. I have become a proponent of the "chicken jibe" (circling
270 - 300 degrees bringing the bow across the wind rather than the stern).

I have never tried, and therefore do not recommend, the "scandalizing" of
the main. Thre previous owner of my boat described it to me and I've seen
it mentioned in print once or twice since then.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632

Subject: Topping lift & main reefing - NO!
Author: Non-HP-SolarFry (SolarFry@aol.com) at hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 8/27/98 7:20 PM

<< Subj: Re: Topping lift
Date: 98-08-27 13:51:04 EDT
From: DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
To: Saabdrver@aol.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com

I've read that an adjustable topping lift can also be used to
"scandalize"
the main by lifting the boom and spilling air under heavy wind
conditions
but I've never tried that myself.

This is the way capsizes usually happen. The sail fills and lifts the boom
pulling the top of the mast over and under thus knocking the boat on its side.
Don't try this gimmick downwind or on a broad reach or you might force a
knockdown and get very wet....

SF