Re: Outboard Motor Question

Carol Gula (cgula@innet.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:07:20 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01BDE3B5.49D7B120

Hi Judy:
I had exactly the same engine, and after it finally wouldn't start and =
need a carb rebuild, the local Evinrude authorized service dealer asked =
me if I left gas in the bowl. This occurs when you stop the engine by =
pushing the red button on the end of the tiller. He said that since I =
didn't use the motor very often, the gas-oil mixture in the bowl was =
evaporating and turning to sludge, which was clogging the jets. I =
watched him dismantle the carb and bowl was sludgy and jets were =
clogged. His fix was as I said, disconnect the gas line from the tank =
at the motor and let the motor run out of fuel. I did that from then on =
and had no more trouble starting the motor after a layoff. If I was =
planning to use the motor within a couple of days, I would just push =
the button.

I think that what you are reading in the manual may refer to the twist =
type fuel shut off that also pulls out to serve as the choke. Never =
experimented with shutting the motor down that way.

Hope this helps,
Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP-19#904, Aripeka, FL
-----Original Message-----
From: JBlumhorst@aol.com <JBlumhorst@aol.com>
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Outboard Motor Question

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -=20
> West Wight Potter Website at URL=20
> http://www.lesbois.com/wwpotter/
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - =20
>I have a 1992 4 hp 2 cylinder Evinrude 2 stroke OB. In the manual it =
says
>(emphasis is original, not mine)
>
>" Press the stop button until engine stops. DO NOT stop motor by =
shutting off
>fuel. close fuel shut-off valve by turning choke knob from fuel ON to =
fuel
>OFF. If equipped, close vent screw on fuel tank filler cap."
>
>There's no explanation.
>
>Judy Blumhorst
>Danville, CA
>P-19 "Redwing"

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01BDE3B5.49D7B120

Hi Judy:
I had exactly the same engine, and after it finally wouldn't start = and need=20 a carb rebuild, the local Evinrude authorized service dealer asked me if = I left=20 gas in the bowl.  This occurs when you stop the engine by pushing = the red=20 button on the end of the tiller.  He said that since I didn't use = the motor=20 very often, the gas-oil mixture in the bowl was evaporating and turning = to=20 sludge, which was clogging the jets.  I watched him dismantle the = carb and=20 bowl was sludgy and jets were clogged.  His fix was as I said, = disconnect=20 the gas line from the tank at the motor and let the motor run out of = fuel. =20 I did that from then on and had no more trouble starting the motor after = a=20 layoff.  If I was planning to use the motor within a couple of = days, =20 I would just push the button.

I think that what you are reading in the manual may refer to the = twist type=20 fuel shut off that also pulls out to serve as the choke.  Never=20 experimented with shutting the motor down that way.