Re: Thanks on the Drain Plug Issue

Derek Jensen (djensen@teleport.com)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:44:48 -0700

The Fletchers wrote:

> I'm also curious about another issue on the P15. How do you hold
> tension on the luff of the mainsail? I'm asking because the cleat that
> was on my mast that I tied the gooseneck to broke last week and I went
> in search of a replacement. In removing it, it seemed that it was not
> an origional cleat, or location from the looks of the holes and screws.
> I was just wondering if all of the mid to late '70s P15s had the cleat
> mounted in the slot on the mast.
>
> Thanks again, and fair winds to all this weekend! I hoping for some!
>
> Dick Fletcher
> 1977 P15 #667 ...still searching for herself, and her name

My '70s potter has a small jam cleat in the sail slot under the area where the gooseneck sits.
The jam cleat is the same type that used to hold the main and headsail sheets. Since getting
my trusty little potter, I have replaced the sheet cleats with cam cleats, and I have to say it
makes sailing much more enjoyable. The old cleats have been handy for installing jiffy reefing
and an adjustable outhaul on the boom.

While up in the San Juans, I had the opportunity to look over a P15 of similiar vintage that had
been modified to run the downhaul line back to the cockpit, but I believe the standard configuration
was to lock it to a cleat in the sail slot on the mast. The copy of the original HMS rigging sheet I
got with my boat references this cleat as well.

Derek Jensen
P15 #694 "El Nino"
Portland, OR