Re: (No Subject)

gatorjj@etrademail.com
21 Oct 1998 13:05:12 -0700

On Wed, 21 October 1998, "William Kevin Scanlon" wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1) Retrofitting: Can some of you share your experiences of installing radios (marine and stereos), stereo speakers and any attachable after market add-ons. How have you successfully installed these? Screws? Bolts? Super adhesives? Velcro? Bubble-gum?

I put an auto stereo cassette into the area under the burner stove (in the side with the ash tray. It is supported via a metal brace to the top, underside of the stove. I put it here, since I have a remote, and can control it from the cockpit. I also have a 12 disc changer that shares time in the car, and I just wedge that in under the window.

I have 2 speakers, temporarily built, wired to 20ft. extensions, so I can lay them in the cabin, or on top, or put them completely away. I plan to buy some truck speakers, and basically do the same thing with them.

> 5) There are no winches on the WWP’s (can you tell that I just picked up my boat on Sunday and haven’t gotten it into the water yet). Are the kleets more than sufficient and are the sail sheets (lines) so easy to manage that this is a laughable thought?

I wouldn't say laughable, but it's certainly manageable without a winch.

> 7) What is the maximum weight capacity of a WWP 19, this is one statistic I haven’t run across. On the same topic, what have you readers been finding as a comfortable maximum crew count? Are 2 adult males and 2 adult females all of average size and weight a crowd?

On the water, you could load it up pretty well (Bill Combs? Are you there?) There have been certain folks (who also never finished posting their stories..;) who have loaded up and headed for the Bahamas, full crew and provisions. On the trailer, it's a different story, depending on the trailer you have.

> 9) Hull Painting: Suggestions? Ideas? Recommendations? Best anti-fouling paint. Is it reasonable for me to attempt painting my WWP 19’s hull bottom over the winter while it sits on the trailer and in my garage? How much paint does it take to adequately cover a WWP 19 hull?

I'm told if you trailer and keep your hull clean after salting it, you probably don't need any paint. If you're going to moor it or slip it, somebody will likely chime in.

> 10) Mast Raising on a WWP 19. I have been reading some recent posting in regards to speeding up this process. Is it TO difficult to raise the mast while the boat is in the water? There are some convenient boat launches and marina’s up-river in my area, but you must travel under some low bridges from some of them to reach Boston Harbor. If anchored is not stable enough is temporarily docked enough?

As the starter of this recent thread, I'd have to say that no, it's not difficult. It could be done on the water, a few folks even seem to prefer doing this. It currently takes me about 25-30 minutes to get the boat ready to sail, and I'd ideally like to knock it down to about 10. It may be too ambitious still, but that's my goal.

Ideally I'm trying to find a way to get to the lake, undo the bow and transom strap, lift the mast and secure it, and drop it in the water ready to go. Same thing leaving. It just seems like a bunch of little things to do, and before you know it you've killed a half hour. I'd like to have the boat in the water a half an hour after I leave my house, and I have a 15 minute drive. It would make my wife and child much happier, and we'd get to go sailing more days.

Note that none of this is Potter-specific, it's just the price we sailors pay for keeping the boat free in the backyard.

Welcome to Pottering!

J.J. Falkanger
Cary, NC
P-19 #792 "Fozzguppy"