Re: Paint Advice

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:34:38 -0700

Bill Scanlon wrote:

>The "gel coat", how can I tell if the gel coat is still good? My boat is
>a 1996 not used too much, although, it has ben in salt most often and was
>moored for a while in the 96 season, the previous owner suggested I paint
>the bottom for next season ... The bottom color is blue and it seems a
>bit faded, although, there is NO barnicles etc ... Does the gel coat have
>a finish and luster on the hull bottom (shiney) like the above the water
>line hull area?
>
>I understand that the paint is expensive AND even more to have it painted
>... but if painting the bottom of my boat even if the need is marginal
>will extend the life of the boat then its worth the expense (doing it
>myself) to me ... unless painting it when it's not absolutely necessary
>does more harm than good

Yes, the bottom was originally shiny like the rest of the hull. My boat
also has bottom paint applied by the previous owner, unfortunately. It's a
dull brownish gray, apparently a copper antifouling paint. I've considered
removing it but didn't want to mess with the probably toxic material. I
don't see any need for antifouling paint if the boat is always trailered,
not kept in the water. It will collect barnacles and other growth if left
in the water without annual cleaning and repainting, especially in warm
water. I don't think saltwater, per se, is any harder on fiberglass than
fresh water. It's just more corrosive to metals.

I've never painted the outside of the hull of my 32-year-old Potter.
Generally a repaint won't look as good as the original fiberglass finish
and will require more maintenance. My hull has a few small dings that I
should repair, but overall it still looks pretty good. Repainting the
bottom with a shiny paint would improve the appearance of your boat but
probably wouldn't extend its life. If your 1996 boat has been mainly
trailer stored and kept covered the rest of the gelcoat should be in good
shape. Extended sunlight is the enemy. If the finish is dull try polishing
it (but not on deck surfaces where you walk).

Actually I'm not expert in this area so I'll pass your questions to the
group at large. My maintenance has been pretty casual, and I've settled for
tugboat decor instead of a yachty look. My first-generation Potter 14 has a
lot of wood in it, and the interior is not lined, so it has an unfinished
look at best.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA