RE: Permanent fuel tank P19?

Gribskov, Jon R (jrgribsk@ingr.com)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:17:54 -0600

The Coast Guard has very strict regulations with regard to permanent fuel
tanks, and for good reason. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, and can
lead to explosion in the case of leaks, improper venting, etc. Best source
of information is the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) "Standards and
Recommended Practices for Small Craft". They represent the definitive
source of both what works and what is legal. If you are going to fabricate
a gasoline fuel tank, you should get hold of the relevant standard from ABYC
and follow it. I say this as someone who worked in the metal fab business
myself for many years.

I found the following information on the web:

American Boat & Yacht Council

The ABYC is the industry source for standards and recommended practices for
recreational boats.
The standards are available in print and CD-ROM from the ABYC.

AMERICAN BOAT & YACHT COUNCIL, INC.
3069 Solomon's Island Road
Edgewater, MD 21037-1416
(410) 956-1050