Re: New Sternlight

Steven W. Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 17:04:57 -0800

Jim Tietjen wrote:

> Modifications I am considering are adding a 100-pound torpedo bulb to the
> base of the daggerboard and a back-stay so I can hoist a full sized
> spinnaker.

Jim,

To digress a moment, what can you hoist without a backstay? My Capri 16
has no backstay and I am thinking of something like a reaching spinnaker
for San Diego's light evening winds. I am usually a sunset sailor. I
start out with decent wind, but on the return trip, usually downwind,
the wind is decreasing and light. So some sort of poleless spinnaker
seems appropriate. I would also like to use it for upwind, even if not
close hauled, hence, a reaching spinnaker. Comments and suggestions,
please.

--
Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, and saleing a Potter 14, in San Diego.

OLDSURFDUDE